- Calcium and carbonates are essential to all coral growth. If either becomes deficient, coral growth will cease, followed by a rapid decline in coral health.
- Reef alkalinity should be maintained at 3–5 meq/L (8–14 dKH). Alkalinity should not be allowed to fall below 2 meq/L.
- This blend of salts results in Reef Carbonate yielding a pK of roughly 9.0 in saltwater.
- In a closed reef system, the multitude of organics produced by reef inhabitants tends to force pH downward, but the advantage of Reef Carbonate’s higher pK is a stabilization of pH around 8.3-8.4.
- Beginner: Use 1 capful (5 mL) per 80 L (20 gallons) twice a week. Best if diluted into a cup of freshwater, then added. Check alkalinity every 2 weeks and adjust dose or frequency accordingly.
Advanced: Check alkalinity, then follow dosing regimen above until alkalinity is adjusted to 4–5 meq/L. Each dose will raise alkalinity by about 0.25 meq/L. Size or frequency of dose can be adjusted, but do not exceed 1 meq/L per day. Thereafter, use as required to maintain alkalinity.
Expert: After determining the alkalinity consumption rate, set up a continuous drip system. Use the following formula to determine how much to add to your top-off water: m=va (m=mL of product to add to top off water, v=volume of tank in gallons, a=amount to raise alkalinity in meq/L). For example, if you want to raise alkalinity by 1 meq/L in a 50 gallon tank, then you would add 50x1=50 mL into the top-off water.
- Hints: Best to pour in gradually near strong water movement. Do not add to a sump or other area of slow water exchange. Use MultiTest: Marine pH & Alkalinity to measure total alkalinity or Reef Status: Magnesium, Carbonate & Borate to measure carbonate alkalinity.
- Do Not Overdose: Excess alkalinity may enhance the loss of calcium, magnesium, and strontium. Do not directly mix with any calcium, magnesium, or strontium supplement. Best if calcium & carbonate additives are added on alternate days or at least 30 minutes apart.
There are no reviews for this item at present. If you use this product please let us know what you think of it.
Average rating based on 0 review(s)